Friday, May 28, 2010

To the One TV Celebrity I've Met

Gary Coleman died today. Only 42 years young. Shame, really.

When I met him, I was a lowly assistant manager, slaving away for a rather well-known video game retailer. Specifically, the location was nestled within Marina Del Rey and still sits there today, overlooking the Lincoln Boulevard entrance to State Route 90.

While I tidied the shelves, I overheard the store manager yelling at a kid for jumping in the store, trying to reach something above their head. I looked over just in time to see Gary Coleman turn around and angrily admonish my superior for calling him a child, which amused me greatly. My chores were just about done, so I soon returned to the front counter, where Mr. Coleman made his way not much later.

We talked a little as his purchases were rung up, and at one point he asked me, "What's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this?" It wasn't just the first time I'd met the famous short man, but the only time an actual celebrity has made a pass at me. My smile was genuine, and just a few moments later, the flirtatious gamer was on his way.

Brief meetings like that aren't all too uncommon in Los Angeles, especially if you've ever worked in the Richie Rich locales. I've run into a handful of other celebs, like Jean-Claude Van Damme in Santa Monica, and Elijah Wood -- twice -- in the aforementioned Marina Del Rey store. Despite the normalcy of it, I'll consider our chance encounter special, as it gave me the opportunity to meet -- and be hit on by -- someone who's no longer with us.

Rest well, Mr. Coleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment